I believe in Auburn and LOVE it! Yes, I am a faithful Auburn alum having spent 5 1/2 wonderful years there getting my Bachelor and Master degrees; however, it's not the football that makes me love Auburn, it's the entire town, traditions, friendly faces, and the Auburn FAMILY. Yes, we are all family. It is extremely hard to explain but once you experience the love and respect that Auburn students, alums, and fans have for one another then you'll understand.
I remember when my mom, dad, and myself went to visit for a "college visit" during my senior year of high school. Of course everyone thinks of college as freedom from our parents, beer, and parties, but I admit I was a bit guarded as to where I'd fit in and be "me". I remember walking around with the group tour and being welcomed with friendly, approachable smiles from the students and faculty. I felt at ease and very much like I was at home during my visit and ultimately made the decision that I needed to attend Auburn.
Looking back those were some of the best, almost, 7 years of my entire life. I admit that I am a self proclaimed dork and did very well at Auburn but I also experienced being in a sorority, tailgating, football, frat parties, and pulling all nighters for finals. Like I mentioned earlier, when Auburn alums think of our beloved university, we immediately think of family, which is very unique when compared to other schools. As family, we root on our athletes, win or lose, are proud of the many alums that are making a difference - Apple CEO Tim Cook, Football Star Bo Jackson, "The Help" actress Octavia Spencer (to name a few), and value traditions - rolling Toomer's Corner, Tiger Walk, seeing the eagle fly and screaming WAR EAGLE, not walking over the seal near Toomer's Corner. All universities have all of those components but we have the simple phrase that we use to those proudly sporting the Auburn logo - War Eagle. Those two words mean so much to me, and every Auburn family member, because it always brings you back home with a sense of comfort. Hearing "War Eagle" occurs all the time for me - in grocery stores, at the gym, at work, at bars, or on the street - War Eagle is an important phrase in my vocabulary. Lastly, those who are close to me know not to mess with 3 things: my family, my friends, and my Auburn Tigers...seriously, don't even try it.
Overall, I can proudly say that I was not told to be an Auburn fan or became an Auburn fan because that's who everyone else roots for; rather, I followed my heart and chose Auburn because of the entire Auburn spirit and family. Through all of the Cam Newton jokes, being told that I was too stupid to not get into UGA (high school GPA was a 3.7 and college a 3.9), and being told I live in Georgia so I should be a UGA fan, I am grateful for my choice and will always believe in Auburn and Love it!
WAR DAMN EAGLE!
 |
| Met my Best Friend Holly |
 |
| Aubie is my lover! |
 |
| Fun Rivalries :) |
 |
| Met my Best Friends Christin and Chrissy |
 |
| *Love* |
 |
| "Auburn is so much more than a city or a school or a team or a degree. It is something that, once you have experienced it, will live inside of you forever and become a part of what makes up who you are." WDE |
Well said...it is very difficult to explain to others what the Auburn family is and means to us. They will NEVER get it! WAR EAGLE!!
ReplyDelete