October 4, 2011

My Final Words

My dad was an exceptional man. He was hard working (went back to work 3 days after getting out of ICU in 2006), always put our family first, loved to genuinely talk with others (deli managers at Publix to the men at Discount Tire Company), and ultimately portrayed what a man is as well as the qualities I've not only instilled in myself but also into my future. I can honestly say that I still can not go on to discuss his final day on this earth as I am emotionally mourning his absence but do want to share something I wrote in his honor. Originally it was written as a surprise since he and my mom were flown to Chicago in February so that his company could celebrate his early retirement. I then formatted it to lead into his final hours since it was only a 4 month difference. Just as a side note, my sister and I did not initially feel the urge to talk at his "Celebration of Life" ceremony (we would rather celebrate life rather than mourn death in my family) but I wanted to brag about him as he so passionately did about his own family. Although it's short, it's sweet and to the point...just as he would've wanted it. I will one day gain the courage to tell his day on June 22nd but until then, enjoy!

*Dad, where to even begin. First, I’d like to thank you for everything. You’ve taught me so many valuable lessons about life that has shaped me into who I am today. It’s almost impossible to write down everything that describes what kind of man you were. Therefore, I’ll talk about the specific traits that describe you. Wise: I can always remember you asking me if something was “a need or a want” and rephrasing myself to say “I’d like that rather than I want that”. Those phrases consistently run through my head because you instilled very early on to be perceptive and knowledgeable when making decisions. Perseverance: You taught me that no matter what kind of hardships are put in your path that you should continue to march on. You proved this to me not only throughout my entire life but specifically I can still remember you telling me that while you were in the hospital 5 years ago that you had to be home for me 21st birthday. Every single individual on the medical team at Emory was skeptical with your remark but you proved them wrong. Not only were you home (well, a couple of days past my birthday) but you were also determined to carry on with your life. This strength was the ultimate backbone for getting me through my Masters (that and Auburn football-War Eagle) and other daily hardships that I might encounter. The last word to ultimately describe you is Selfless. I repeatedly think back to your final hours here on this earth and how you took the time to thank every single doctor, nurse, tech, and janitor that helped you with your fight. You diligently shook everyone’s hand and sincerely thanked them for their time. This was an important lesson for me. I hope to carry out every single interaction, from now on, with your grace and generosity. I promise to make it my mission in life to thank and show my gratitude to loved ones, friends, and even strangers just as you did this past Wednesday. And in conclusion, I thank you Dad. You were not only a wonderful father but also a great friend, mentor, colleague, husband, brother, and son. I can’t say thank you, gracias, merci, etc. enough. I can only hope that I can be as influential and driven as you. As my dad said on Wednesday to my mom, sister, and I, “You are now the Three Stooges: Moe, Larry, and Curly”.*


Some of my dad's past memories displayed at his Celebration of Life

No comments:

Post a Comment