Oh goodnesssss. 5K's make me sick. My first (and only time) completing a race was the 10K Peachtree Road Race in 1998. Notice the word "complete"...Haha! All of my life I've been extremely active in dance (ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, toe, and modern) and got into the cheerleading scene in conjunction with dance in high school. I'll be honest because I've never EVER been able to run more than 500 ft without getting a cramp or feeling like I was about to throw up so I blamed it on having a small "wind pipe". Being a speech pathologist that's a term for a small larynx, which I now know that I don't have, but that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! Anyway, back to the Peachtree Road Race which is humorous, quite sad, and pathetic for myself all at the same time. A 5K is equivalent to 3.1 miles which is nothing when you spend an hour on the elliptical at the gym (which I can do). However, that hour during the Peachtree significantly multiplied...multiplied to 3 hours and 30 minutes....you can start laughing now. My excuses were of course my small wind pipe, too many people, doughnuts being passed out on the side of the road (I HATE DOUGHNUTS by the way), oh the naked lady standing in the Ritz-Carlton Hotel window causing a slow down, anddddd ok I'm just not an athlete but I tried and got the t-shirt to prove it. This all leads into my new goal in which I am participating in, the "Winship Win the Fight 5K" on October 15th. As you all know I've been diagnosed with Fibroblastic Sarcoma. I am only 1 in 3 in the entire world to have this type in my hand and correlation between us three amigos is Irish heritage. Guess I'll be making my claim to fame in a textbook which is appropriate since I am a complete nerd :). I've had an initial surgery (finding the cancer), was sent to MD Anderson (BAD CHOICE), and ultimately began treatment at Emory's Winship Center. I've currently completed 17 radiation treatments, which consists of going at 7 am Monday through Friday, and have only 10 more to go! I'm an honest person (eh...good and bad) and it has not been fun what-so-ever but I feel so blessed to have met such heart felt patients, doctors, and survivors thus far! I have to have (hopefully) a final surgery on November 18th with CT scans every 3 months to 6 months to a year for the next 5 years. Reflecting and knowing that this Center has treated me incredibly well and I have seen the wonders, both physically and mentally, that have been performed I've decided to take part in this year's Winship Win for the Fight 5k/Walk (for me walk...I still can't run-wait, I never could :)!) which takes place October 15th. I am only asking for whatever you can do to help...a prayer, well wish, small donation, cheerleader, Olympic athlete (see you in 3 hours!), or a companion for the 5K. It is by no means a monetary contribution for myself rather for all of those that I've encountered to find a cure for this overwhelming and C word curse known as cancer. I've created a page to organize this event but want to thank you in advance for anything and everything you are able to set forth for this cause!
**This day is also monumental for me as it is the day after I finish my last round of radiation. I won't take off all of my sharpie markings, that I've donned for over 6 weeks, until I get to the finish line! :)
DONATE :)
If you are having difficulty donating then please follow step by step below:
Instructions on how to register for the walk:
Go to the above link
Click on "agree"
Click "register as an individuals" and again on the next page
Fill Out application
At the bottom put "In Honor of" Jenna Mersfelder and my information (411 Brookhaven Way NE Atlanta, GA 30319)
In "Cancer Fund Designation" put Sarcoma Program Fund
Click "Cancer Patient"
And Submit :) That's All!
![]() |
| Radiation burn. Now I know what those who are 70 living on the beach feel like, Ouch. |

You will do great Jenna!! I will be thinking about you, and would love to join you, but you know what game weekend that is... :) Love you! That is so exciting to be done with your treatments, you are amazing!!
ReplyDelete